What's In Food?
Last Updated: December 3, 2015
Live Food Search
(searches the USDA food database & opens window with nutrient and vitamin information)
Showing results for: . Click on food name to analyze.
Calorie, Nutrients, Vitamins and Minerals Food Composition ToolInstructions:
- Enter the name of the food you want analyzed in the text field above.
- AS YOU TYPE, food name suggestions will appear in a dynamic box/table that will show up below the text box. Be patient, sometimes the server gets too busy and it takes a few moments for typed characters to show up.
- Find your food selection and click on it's name. A new tab will open with a summary of the caloric and nutritional breakdown of your selection, presented in the format of a nutrition label.
How to Interpret the Nutrition Information?
- You should limit the intake of nutrients color coded in orange.
- You should try to eat more from the nutrients color coded in blue.
- Watch the number of calories listed at the beginning of the nutrition information.
- The percent daily values (DV%) are based on a 2,000 calories diet.
Why Don't All Nutrients Have DV% Information?
Because these values have been established for only a limited number of nutrients. In the future you may see new nutrients with DV%.
For a comprehensive list of currently available nutrient DV%, please visit the Reference Values for Nutrition Labeling.
What if I Want to Analyze a Different Amount Than Displayed?
It's very simple: use the drop-down list of amount options on top of the nutrition data table and your results will be updated in no time to show the calories, nutrients, vitamins and minerals for the new amount selection.
To find out more about the nutrition label, please visit this very informative food label tutorial called Make Your Calories Count, offered by the USDA. It's a lot of fun, too! Yet another useful page that explains the various components of the nutrition label and how to understand them can be found here (source is USDA, again).
If you have any suggestions for future improvements or additions to this free calorie and nutrient counter, please use my contact page.
Looking For Something?
Use this form to search through articles on this site.